Down the Road
…People hit the sauce in a big way all winter.
Amidst blizzards they wrestle unsuccessfully with the dark comedy of their lives, laughter trapped in their frigid gizzards.
Meanwhile, the mercury just plummets, like a migrating duck blasted out of the sky by some hunter in a cap with fur earflaps.
Jan 30, ‘14
Greetings from the land of unrelenting and ceaseless Arctic cold.
A word to describe how I feel living in this state of Arctic cold. Torpid. I’m in a state of torpidity.
1. A state of mental or physical inactivity or insensibility.
2. Lethargy; apathy.
3. The dormant, inactive state of a hibernating or estivating (dormant) animal.
[Latin, from torpre, to be stiff;
All adjectives strictly apply to me in my present state.
I am in Survival-mode.
v. sur·vived, sur·viv·ing, sur·vives
1. To remain alive or in existence.
2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere:
3. To remain functional or usable:
1. To live longer than; outlive:
2. To live, persist, or remain usable through:
3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after:
This has been an awful month for so many.
For me, it’s been a season of frozen pipes, major car breakdown and repair, high fuel prices for minimal
heat, almost impossible to get any work done in this awful chill, lethargy, dormancy and apathy.
My ‘sauce’ of choice: Hot cocoa and plenty of it.
The temp was 9 degrees at 7 a.m. and now, some 3 hours later, is at 14 with a predicted high of 27. I’m glad the sun is shining.
The good news is from this morning’s weather report: a warming trend from Arctic Cold to ‘ordinary’ cold. Also, Sunday is Ground Hog Day, which means ONLY 6 more weeks of Winter!
This is the best my Inner Pollyanna can conjure up about how things are in my present state of Torpor.